Lester Holt Was Biased
What did Lester ask Hillary that was tough? He asked Trump four tough questions:
1) He asked Trump about his taxes.
2) He asked Trump about the birth certificate.
3) He pressed Trump on his opposition to Iraq.
4) He asked Trump about his comments on Hillary not having the "look" of being President and then proceeded to repeat Meghan Kelly's point about Trump calling women pigs, etc.
5) He rebuffed Trump on stop and frisk (saying that stop and frisk was found unConstitutional). He responded, but to it, but still...
Also, I don't know how many times Hillary Clinton was allowed to ramble on, but Trump would attempt to respond, and Lester would say something like, "Only a few seconds, Mr. Trump," or "We really have to move on, Mr. Trump, and get to the next question."
CNN keeps saying that Trump went into the weeds. Well, Trump was responding to Lester's questions.
Things you didn't hear:
1) He never asked Hillary about Benghazi.
2) He never asked Hillary about her emails.
3) He never asked Hillary about pay for play.
In fact, after I wrote this post right after the debate concluded, the RNC themselves put out a list of 10 things that Lester neglected to bring up to Hillary.
The list went as follows:
- The 5 Aides Given Immunity By The FBI Or Her Reckless Secret Server
- The Multiple False Statements About How Her “Extremely Careless” Actions Endangered Our National Security
- Her “Basket Of Deplorables” Insult Toward Millions of Americans
- Clinton Foundation Pay To Play Accusations
- Her Failures And Lies On The Attacks In Benghazi
- Her Support For Obamacare
- Her Deep Support From And Ties To Wall Street
- Veterans Affairs Scandal She Arrogantly Called “Not Widespread”
- Her Comments About Wanting To Put The Coal Industry Out Of Work
- Her Deception And Lack Of Transparency On Her Health
A close analysis of the transcript of the first presidential debate on Monday night shows that moderator Lester Holt of NBC News asked 15 questions exclusively of Republican nominee Donald Trump, and only 2 questions exclusively of Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.
The analysis, posted on social media and drawing intense attention on Reddit, walks through the entire 90-minute exchange and notes Holt asked six questions of both candidates, in addition to Trump’s 15 and Clinton’s two.
Moreover, most of Holt’s questions prompts were overly friendly to Clinton’s point of view, while hostile to Trump. In one of the last exchanges of the debate, for example, Holt strongly implied Trump was a sexist when asking about a past criticism he had made about Clinton lacking a “presidential look.” He also introduced the opening topic of the debate by praising Obama’s economic performance, ignoring the fact that growth never reached 3% under Obama and labor force participation has fallen.
Breitbart News noted that Holt intervened several times to “fact-check” Trump — often erroneously — while never checking Clinton’s facts, even when she was completely wrong, as in her claim that she had never flip-flopped on the Trans-Pacific Partnership. In addition, the Washington Examiner‘s Eddie Scarry notes Holt asked Trump six follow-up questions, and none of Clinton, leaving Trump “having to debate the highly anticipated event’s moderator as well as his Democratic opponent.”
This is from the Daily Caller:
Holt interrupted Trump a whopping 41 times, either to “fact-check” the Republican nominee, or to ask a follow-up question. Clinton was only interrupted seven times during the course of the 90-minute debate.